Monday, November 06, 2006

OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD!!!!!!
Did you hear? The Tigers lost the World Series!!!
. . .

What?

This happened...when? Last week...? Hmmm...

Yeah, I've removed myself from reality on this particular subject for the last week. It was a pretty emotional loss for me, sitting on my couch, hundreds of miles from the action. But seriously, I was a little banged up. Walking through the Silver Bullet offices last week, I stepped through the automated glass doors and found Tiny in the lunchroom reading a magazine. After the robotic servants cleared his tray table, vacuumed him for crumbs and gave him his daily affirmation ("YOU-ARE-AWESOME.") we spoke about the Tigers loss and how much time we invested in it. And it is a grueling season for a fan, when you think about it. The change in time zones; the late starts of the games; the heartbreak of having your hands ready to go "over the top", only to be defeated by a small Rocky Balboa-like trucker with his mesh hat on backwards.

Needless to say, I was disappointed with the Tigers. Not with the season, but their performance in the WS. And I think it's okay to say that. They played out of their minds incredible all year, and turned us all into believers. They beat the Yankees, and the A's soundly, which made us all think this was a "team of destiny." Which they were, to a certain extent. Just not a "World Series Champion." They got the whole city into baseball again. Not just baseball fans, but non-sports fans. There were times when my mom would call me when she knew I was at a game, asking,"Wow! Did you see that?" My response was always the same:"Who is this?"

It was an incredible movie, with an ending that didn't live up to the hype. I'm not saying I want a refund; I just wish the prices weren't so high. (Metaphorically and literally. My credit card statement physically hurts this month.)

I saw another "trade Bonderman" article today, from one of the local guys. This seems like a bad idea. He's 23, with possibly a HUGE future in front of him. And there's already talk of trying land Soriano, Carlos Lee or Gary Sheffield (AKA a slimmer, better hitting, angrier Dmitri Young.) But it's a new off-season in Tiger Town, which makes Spring Training seem a lot closer than the normal. I'll probably do some reporting from the winter meetings if the Silver Bullet bigwigs upstairs deem it a "good idea" to send me there. Until then, somebody said they play other sports during this time...?

Do they have steroids too?

1 comment:

Tiny said...

My favorite thing about this post is how you try and pretend like you're not one of the robotic servants. Here's your daily affirmation: Get to vacuuming!